Last week we were in California with a big group and everyone wanted to know how we managed to pack everything we needed (and some) in a carry on. Since not checking a bag simplifies the travel process, here are a few packing tips I’ve learned along the way:
1. Find a quality roll on that can hold as much as possible: This hard case one has worked really well. It rolls in all directions making it super easy to navigate the airport. Every time I use it, I am surprised by how much it can fit and how light it is!
2. Wear the jacket and shoes that take up the most space on the plane: I always wear my jacket or sweater with wedges, boots or tennis shoes (depending on the time of year) so that the bulky items aren’t taking up a lot of space in my bag.
3. Put a small big inside your big tote: I always choose one smaller purse and a clutch to bring on the trip and pack both inside of a larger tote for the plane ride. The tote also holds my makeup bag, laptop, snacks, head phones, curling iron and any other shoes I need for the trip.
4. Pack socks inside shoes: This helps keep the shape of your shoes and takes up less space in your bag.
5. Plan your toiletries: I go ahead and buy all of my favorite products in smaller sizes to keep in a reusable clear bag for my carry on. Mine includes a shampoo travel set, tan towels, perfume, toothpaste, face wash (this one is my favorite and they make mini sizes) and of course my favorite dry shampoo.
6. Choose a few colors that match: My closet is filled with black, white, tan and the occasional pop of blue so that everything can be mixed and matched.